Thursday, March 3, 2011

DSM-IV Music Awards


At the Bexar County Psychological Association Fall Social we usually do something funny, sort of skit like.  Last year I put together a BCPA Jeopardy game, which went over well.  After Dr. Susan Wynne  got me in a musical frame of mind, I decided to do something more musical and came up with the idea of the DSM-IV Music Awards modeled on the Academy Awards.  What I thought I would do is announce the category, which would be a DSM-IV diagnosis (or V code) and then 3 or 4 songs that reflect that category and then give a winner for each category.  I thought I would choose the songs and winner for each category with input from everyone on this email.  Suggestions for additional songs and categories are welcome.  If any of you would like to send it on to some others who’s opinions would be helpful, feel free.

The 2009 DSM-IV Musical Awards

Borderline Personality Disorder

Isn’t life Strange by Jim Morrison
Cecilia by Simon and Garfunkel
Heart of Glass by Blondie
Maneater by Hall and Oats
Dazed and Confused by Led Zeppelin
Head Games by Foreigner
Karma Chameleon by The Culture Club
Barracuda by Heart
Addicted to Love by Robert Palmer

AntiSocial Personality Disorder

Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen
Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap by ACDC
Sympathy For the Devil by the Rolling Stones
Thriller by Michael Jackson
Master of the House from Les Miserables

Dependent Personality Disorder

Bridge Over Troubled Water by Simon and Garfunkel
Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler
Everything I do, I do it for you by Bryan Adams
Hopelessly Devoted to You by Olivia Newton John
You’ve Got a Friend by Carol King
I’ll be there by the Jackson 5
Follow You / Follow Me by Genesis

Narcissistic Personality Disorder

Your So Vain by Carly Simon
Under My Thumb by the Rolling Stones
Someone Saved my Life Tonight by Elton John
Wrapped Around my finger by the Police
Don’t You Want Me by the Human League
Fame by Irene Cara

Major Depressive Disorder

I am a Rock by Simon and Garfunkel
The Sound of Silence by Simon and Garfunkel
At Seventeen by Janis Ian
Jagged Little Pill by Alanis Morisette
King of Pain by the Police
Life is a Lemon and I Want My Money Back by Meatloaf
Dust in the Wind by Kansas

Mania

Feeling Groovy by Simon and Garfunkel
Wake Me Up Before You Go Go by Wham
Life in the Fast Lane by the Eagles
Free Falling by Tom Petty
I’m so Excited by the Pointer sisters

Psychosis

Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd
Brain Damage by Pink Floyd
Psychobabble by the Alan Parsons Project
Excitable Boy by Warren Zevon
Yellow Submarine by the Beatles
These Dreams by Heart

Substance Abuse

Italian Restaurant by Billy Joel
Cocaine by Eric Clapton
Tequila Sunrise by the Eagles
Margaritaville by Jimmy Buffet
White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds by the Beatles

Obssessive Compulsive Disorder

Pyramania by the Alan Parsons Project
Money by Pink Floyd
You Aughtta Know by Alanis Morisette
I’m In Love With My Car by Queen
Pinball Wizard by the Who
Short People by Randy Neuman

Partner Relational Problem

You Don’t Bring Me Flowers by Barbara Streisand and Kris Kristofferson
Knowing Me / Knowing You by Abba
If I Could Turn Back Time by Cher
Love is a Battlefield by Pat Benetar
Thunder Rolls by Garth Brooks
Lyin Eyes by the Eagles

Parent and Child Relationship Problem

Father and Son by Cat Stevens
Cats in the Cradle by Harry Chapin
Leader of the Band by Dan Fogelberg
Magic Man by Heart
Hell is For Children by Pat Benetar
Teach Your Children Well by Crosby Stills and Nash

Identity Crisis

I Wouldn’t Want to be like You by the Alan Parsons Project
Question by the Moody Blues
Losing my Religion by REM
The Logical Song by Supertramp
My Generation by the Who

Examples of When Psychotherapy is Successful

I will Survive by Gloria Gainer
Both Sides Now by Joni Mitchell
What Do You Hear In These Sounds Dar Williams
Troubled Times by Dar Williams
I’m Alright by Kenny Loggins
Walking on Sunshine by Katrina and the Waves
My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion
Lean on Me by the Beatles
Wind Beneath My Wings by Bette Midler
I’m Free by the Who
The Gambler by Kenny Rogers
Shelter From the Storm by Bob Dylan


No comments:

Post a Comment